- University of Chicago Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1979
- University of Toronto, M.A., 1975, M.Phil, 1976
- Harvard College, A.B., cum laude, 1972
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Illinois (including Trial Bar)
- U.S. Court of Appeals - 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - D.C. Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Robert E. Shapiro
Rob is a litigator and trial lawyer who advises clients on commercial disputes in state and federal trial and appellate courts, arbitration forums and administrative and governmental proceedings.
In his thirty-three years as a litigator, Rob has handled commercial cases of all kinds throughout the country, including major breach of contract and fraud disputes, securities and antitrust matters, real estate lawsuits, intellectual property disputes and the like. He has handled individual lawsuits, class action claims and governmental cases for major corporations and individuals. Rob served for several years as principal outside counsel and lead trial lawyer for the Illinois Gaming Board, advising the Board on a range of regulatory issues, and as a Special Assistant Attorney General, trying major administrative matters. Rob has also assisted the special counsel for a major international labor union seeking to rid itself of organized crime. He has handled criminal appeals, first amendment cases, employment disputes, art law cases, bankruptcy matters and prisoner rights litigation as well.
Rob writes frequently on the law. For the last twenty-five years, he has been an Associate Editor of Litigation, the journal of the Section of Litigation of the American Bar Association. He has written a quarterly column entitled “Advance Sheet” for that publication since 2000. He is a regular contributor to the Southtown Star, a local newspaper, and has appeared on local TV as a commentator on a range of political and legal issues. Rob is also an Adjunct Professor at Saint Xavier University, teaching courses on ancient and modern philosophy, the American founding, and Shakespeare. In 2008, he taught a course on the American constitution at The University of Cardinal Stefan Wyszynski in Warsaw, Poland. He also has been a Visiting Professor at De Paul University and a seminar leader at the Newberry Library, an independent research library in Chicago.
Professional Activities and Honors
- Order of the Coif
- Law Clerk to Honorable Walter J. Cummings, Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Member, Merit Selection Panel for U.S. Magistrates, N.D. Ill., 1996-1997
- Selected, Leading Lawyers Network (2004-2013)
- Selected, Illinois Super Lawyers (2014)
- Robert Shapiro on CLTV "Politics Tonight" Fourth of July Special
- Shapiro Discusses Recent Supreme Court Decision on Fox 32's "Good Day Chicago"
- Shapiro's second appearance on NBC 5 Chicago's "The Talk"
- Shapiro Discusses Supreme Court Cases on ABC 7's NewsViews
- Shapiro on Fox News Chicago
- Shapiro on NBC 5 Chicago’s “The Talk”
- Early voting trend reshapes Election Day
- Barack Ferrazzano Partner Robert Shapiro explains the Electoral College on ABC 7’s NewsViews
- Eighteen BFKN attorneys named Top 5% in Illinois by Leading Lawyers
- Thirteen BFKN attorneys named 2010 Leading Lawyers
- Thirteen BFKN attorneys named 2009 Leading Lawyers