- University of Chicago Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1979
- University of Toronto, M.A., 1975, M.Phil, 1976
- Harvard College, A.B., cum laude, 1972
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Illinois (including Trial Bar)
- U.S. Court of Appeals - 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - D.C. Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
Robert E. Shapiro
Rob is a litigator and trial lawyer who advises clients on commercial disputes in state and federal trial and appellate courts, ADR forums and administrative and governmental proceedings.
In his more than 34 years as a litigator, Rob has handled commercial cases of all kinds throughout the country, including major breach of contract and fraud disputes, securities and antitrust matters, class actions, governmental disputes, real estate lawsuits, intellectual property disputes and the like. He frequently advises major corporations on the handling and resolution of large-scale threatened and pending controversies. Rob served for several years as principal outside counsel and lead trial lawyer for the Illinois Gaming Board, advising the Board on a range of regulatory issues, and as a Special Assistant Attorney General, trying major administrative matters. Rob also has assisted the special counsel for a major international labor union seeking to rid itself of organized crime. He has handled criminal appeals, first amendment cases, employment disputes, art law cases, celebrity disputes, bankruptcy matters and prisoner rights litigation as well.
Rob writes frequently on the law. For the last 26 years, he has been an Associate Editor of Litigation, the journal of the Section of Litigation of the American Bar Association. He has written a quarterly column entitled “Advance Sheet” for that publication since 2000. He is a regular contributor to the Southtown Star, a local newspaper, and has appeared on local TV as a commentator on a range of political and legal issues.
Rob also is an Adjunct Professor of Philosophy at Saint Xavier University, teaching courses on ancient and modern philosophy, the American founding, and Shakespeare. In 2008, Rob taught a course on the American constitution at The University of Cardinal Stefan Wyszynski in Warsaw, Poland. He taught philosophy of law and American constitutional theory in May 2014 and classes on American litigation in August 2014 at Masaryk University in Brno, in the Czech Republic. In 2015, he will teach alternative dispute resolution at Ozyegin University in Istanbul, Turkey. Rob also has been a Visiting Professor at De Paul University and a seminar leader at the Newberry Library, an independent research library in Chicago.
Rob hosts a Sunday radio show on classical music on the SXU student-run radio station, WXAV 88.3 FM (streaming at WXAV.com). He has also done color commentary on that station's broadcast of the games of the Windy City Thunderbolts, a Frontier League Class A baseball team.
Professional Activities and Honors
- Order of the Coif
- Law Clerk to Honorable Walter J. Cummings, Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals
- Member, Merit Selection Panel for U.S. Magistrates, N.D. Ill., 1996-1997
- Selected, Leading Lawyers Network (2004-2014)
- Selected, Illinois Super Lawyers (2015)
- Do Lawyers Think About What They're Doing?
- The Silent Majority Strikes Again
- Can Moderation Give Us Justice?
- Is Sporstcenter Killing The Law?
- Taking Depositions Backwards (To Win at Trial)
- Shapiro: Political leadership is harder than it looks
- Shapiro: A political mess in D.C.? Not Really
- Partnership Blues
- Shapiro: The Importance of a liberal arts education
- Shapiro: Electoral College’s bad rap is undeserved
- Shapiro: Excessive partisanship? Maybe not so much
- Class Action Answers – And Questions
- Whither the Supreme Court
- What Is To Be Done
- Advance Sheet: A Duck or Rabbit
- Blast From The Past
- Rob Shapiro Comments on U.S. & Cuban Relations Following the U.S. Embassy's Opening in Havana
- Rob Shapiro Featured on CLTV's Politics Tonight Where He Discussed Nuclear Deal With Iran and Relations With Cuba
- Rob Shapiro Examines Landmark Supreme Court Ruling on Same-Sex Marriage
- Rob Shapiro Discusses Supreme Court Ruling Upholding Obamacare on CLTV's Politics Tonight
- Rob Shapiro Discusses Supreme Court Rulings on Social Media Threats & More on CLTV's Politics Tonight
- Rob Shapiro Discusses Netanyahu's Controversial Address To Congress
- America's Reaction to Terrorist Threats Against Shopping Malls
- Robert Shapiro on "Politics Tonight" - Alabama's Ban on Gay Marriage
- Rob Shapiro Discusses Netanyahu's Address to Congress & Obama's Trip to India on Politics Tonight
- Barack Ferrazzano Attorneys Named Illinois Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Robert Shapiro on CLTV "Politics Tonight"
- Robert Shapiro on the July 21 edition of “Politics Tonight” on CLTV
- Robert Shapiro Discusses End of Term Supreme Court Decisions
- Robert Shapiro Discusses Rising Tensions in Ukraine on CLTV’s "Politics Tonight"
- Robert Shapiro Discusses Russia's Annexation of Crimea on CLTV's Evening Edition & Politics Tonight
- Robert Shapiro Discusses Sanctions Against Russia on WGN News
- Robert Shapiro Discusses More Supreme Court Cases on Politics Tonight
- Robert Shapiro Discusses Major 2013 Supreme Court Cases on "Politics Tonight"
- Robert Shapiro on CLTV "Politics Tonight" Fourth of July Special
- Shapiro Discusses Recent Supreme Court Decision on Fox 32's "Good Day Chicago"
- Shapiro's second appearance on NBC 5 Chicago's "The Talk"
- Shapiro Discusses Supreme Court Cases on ABC 7's NewsViews
- Shapiro on Fox News Chicago
- Shapiro on NBC 5 Chicago’s “The Talk”
- Early voting trend reshapes Election Day
- Barack Ferrazzano Partner Robert Shapiro explains the Electoral College on ABC 7’s NewsViews
- Eighteen BFKN attorneys named Top 5% in Illinois by Leading Lawyers
- Thirteen BFKN attorneys named 2010 Leading Lawyers
- Thirteen BFKN attorneys named 2009 Leading Lawyers