- Harvard Law School, J.D., 1974 with honors
- Harvard College, A.B., 1971 with honors
Lance R. Rodgers
Lance is the Chair of the Firm’s Tax & Business Planning Group, serving both large and closely held entities and individuals domestically and abroad. He handles complex joint venture and corporate transactions, formulating optimal structures and the characterization of funding in the tax, real estate, securities, intellectual property, and estate planning fields. Lance advises clients before the Internal Revenue Service and other taxing authorities through the audit stage and beyond. His tax practice is relationship-oriented, thereby enabling him to utilize his immense creativity in a manner uniquely suited to each client’s personalized needs and aspirations.
Led a team that created a European operating platform for a public U.S. real estate company having operations and investment activities in Belgium, France, Germany, and the Netherlands, as well as financial and managerial operations in Luxembourg. The project involved a cross-border tax strategy for the client and its institutional co-investors, as well as legal engineering in the areas of corporate matters, employment and real estate law, and supervised coordination of local counsel in each EU country of interest.
Structured loan and equity investments for individual and institutional investors out of countries not benefiting from U.S. Income Tax Treaties that nonetheless legitimately eliminated both U.S. tax withholding and other U.S. income tax consequences. Formulated structures for non-U.S. companies affiliated with U.S. entities having U.S. permanent establishments that legitimately enabled their income to be maintained offshore.
Professional Activities and Honors
- Selected, Leading Lawyers Network (2003-2016)
- Client Alert: CSBS Releases New BSA/AML Compliance Tool
- Client Alert: Federal Banking Regulators Expand Banks Eligible for Extended 18-Month Examination Cycle
- Seeing Stars
- Client Alert: $5 Million Federal Estate & Gift Tax Exemption May Expire on December 31, 2012
Events & Speaking Engagements
- 2016 McGehee Group Annual Advisor Conference
- 2016 Merrill Lynch Family Gathering
- Hands of Hope 16th Annual Barrington Country Garden & Antique Faire
- Hands of Hope 15th Annual Barrington Country Garden & Antique Faire