- J.D., University of Kansas School of Law, 1986
- B.A., University of Illinois - Urbana, 1983, Dean's List
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois
Donald L. Norman, Jr.
Don heads the Compensation & Employment Group of the Firm, concentrating his practice in executive compensation and employee benefits. He served as in-house tax and benefits counsel at an asset management company with more than $180 billion under management. Prior to joining the Firm, Don practiced at one of the nation's largest law firms. Don offers our clients more than 25 years of experience dealing with complex compensation matters.
Don represents entities, individuals and compensation committees in all stages of the employment process, from negotiating and drafting employment arrangements to separation settlements. Don advises clients on the design and establishment of various types of compensation programs, such as cash and equity based incentive plans (stock options, stock appreciation rights, stock units, restricted stock, etc.) and related insider trading (Section 16) issues, employee stock purchase plans, phantom stock plans, retention plans, non-qualified deferred compensation plans and related rabbi and secular trusts, director compensation programs and change-in-control and severance agreements and plans.
In advising employers on compensation related matters, Don’s practice includes protecting company interests with confidentiality and non-competition arrangements and other restrictive covenants.
Don has recently spent considerable time advising clients about the requirements of Code Section 409A and the executive compensation restrictions contained in the Treasury's Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP).
Don serves on the Firm's Finance Committee and Pension Committee. He is a frequent speaker on issues of director and executive compensation with a focus on the financial services industry.
Professional Activities and Honors
- Selected, Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, The Best Lawyers in America® (2017)
- Member, American Bar Association, Tax Section, Executive Compensation Subcommittee
- Member, National Association of Stock Plan Professionals
- Selected, Illinois Super Lawyers (2013-2015)
- Client Alert: CSBS Releases New BSA/AML Compliance Tool
- Client Alert: Banks Face Continued Threat of ADA Website Accessibility Lawsuits
- Client Alert: Federal Banking Regulators Expand Banks Eligible for Extended 18-Month Examination Cycle
- Client Alert: Pay Ratio Disclosure Implementation
- Client Alert: Don't Forget the Behavioral Impact of Product Incentive Plans
- Client Alert: New DOL Fiduciary Rule Requires Every Bank's Attention
- Client Alert: Department of Labor Updates Salary Level Test of Overtime Regulations
- Client Alert: Proposed Incentive Compensation Rules
- Avoiding the Excess Parachute Payments Trap in M&A Deals
- Client Alert: Preparing for the New Pay Ratio Disclosure Rules
- Client Alert: New Payroll Card Rules
- Client Alert: Bank Regulatory & Legal Developments - Part III
- Client Alert: Illinois Concealed Carry Law Is Here
- The Board’s Role in Succession Planning
- Client Alert: “Marketplace” Notice Deadline Is October 1, 2013...Maybe...
- Client Alert: Illinois Court Rules Employment For Less Than Two Years Constitutes Inadequate Consideration
- Regulatory Fatigue Syndrome: Identifying the Symptoms and Treating the Patient
- Old is New Again: Independence vs. Independent Judgment
- Troubled condition compensation restrictions
- So, you thought you were done with TARP?
- Client Alert: Employment & Compensation Agreements Require Attention Before Year-End
- Client Alert: Application of Loan Originator Compensation Rules to Tax-Qualified Retirement Plans
- You Are Not Alone: Reflections on Compensation and Succession Planning Problems
- Client Alert: The Federal Reserve Board's Final Rule on Loan Originator Compensation and Steering
- Client Alert: New Proposed Rules on Incentive Compensation Pursuant to Dodd-Frank Act
- Client Alert: New Non-Discrimination Rules for Insured Health Plans
- Client Alert: Federal Reserve Finalizes Guidance on Sound Compensation Policies
- Client Alert: Mortgage Loan Officers Eligible for Overtime Pay
- Client Alert: Federal Reserve's Proposed Guidance on Sound Incentive Compensation Programs
- TARP Executive Compensation Limitations
- Client Alert: TARP Executive Compensation Restrictions - Treasury's Interim Final Rule
- Client Alert: Treasury Equity Purchases are not Triggers for Payment Under §409A Plans
- Client Alert: Private Company Stock Valuations Under Section 409A
Events & Speaking Engagements
- 2016 Bank Executive & Board Compensation Conference
- 2015 Bank Director's Bank Executive & Board Compensation Conference (Chicago, IL)
- 2015 IZALE Financial Group Client Conference
- 2014 Bank Director's Bank Executive & Board Compensation Conference (Chicago, IL)
- 2013 BankDirector's Bank Executive & Board Compensation Conference (Chicago, IL)
- 2012 Bank Director's Bank Executive & Board Compensation Conference (Chicago, IL)
- 2011 Bank Director's Bank Executive & Board Compensation Conference (Chicago, IL)
- 2010 Bank Director's Executive & Board Compensation Conference (Chicago, IL)
- 2010 Illinois Bankers Association Annual Conference & Trade Show (Springfield, IL)
- 2010 Bank Director's Bank Audit Committee Conference: Insight on Oversight (Chicago, IL)
- 2010 New Strategies and Rules for Bank Incentive Compensation (Webinar)
- 2010 New Developments in Executive Compensation (Los Angeles, CA)
- First Busey Corporation to Acquire Mid Illinois Bancorp, Inc.
- First Busey Corporation to Acquire First Community Financial Partners, Inc.
- #1 M&A Legal Advisor for Banks in the Midwest
- Barack Ferrazzano Recognized by U.S. News Best Law Firms 2017
- Barack Ferrazzano Represents LVMH in $650M Sale of Donna Karan International
- Twelve Barack Ferrazzano Attorneys Named 2017 U.S. News - Best Lawyers®
- Financial Institutions Group Mid-Year Review / BFKN #1 Nationally in M&A
- First Community Financial Corporation to Merge with Wintrust Financial Corporation
- Ridgestone Financial Services, Inc. to Merge with Byline Bancorp, Inc.
- Midland States Bancorp, Inc. Plans Initial Public Offering
- First Busey Corporation to Acquire Pulaski Financial Corp.
- County Bancorp, Inc. to Acquire Fox River Valley Bancorp, Inc.
- Banks Grapple With Succession Planning
- First Midwest Bancorp, Inc. to Acquire NI Bancshares Corp.
- Peoples Bancorp Inc. to Merge with First Midwest Bancorp Inc.
- Barack Ferrazzano Welcomes Compensation & Employment Group Attorney K.C. Klagos
- Barack Ferrazzano Represents First Busey Corporation in Acquisition of Herget Financial Corporation
- Barack Ferrazzano Attorneys Named Illinois Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Will Citigroup Shareholders’ “No” Vote Change the Compensation Game?
- Don Norman discusses three key points raised at this year's Bank Director & Bank Executive Compensation conference