- University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 1973
- University of Michigan, B.A., with honors, 1969
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois
Howard A. Nagelberg
Howard concentrates his practice in the representation of public and private companies in the real estate and financial services industries. He has substantial experience in the representation of real estate investment trusts (REITs), both in the transactional and corporate contexts. In addition to working with senior management of his clients, Howard also works closely with the directors of those companies, so as to facilitate their interaction with senior management and the discharge of their responsibilities.
Howard's clients also include real estate developers, lenders, contractors, lessors, brokers, syndicators, investors, insurers, technology providers, broker-dealers and investment managers, with particular experience in joint ventures and other co-investment structures. Howard also has in-depth experience in international real estate transactions, both in the representation of U.S. interests overseas in their development and investment activities, and in the representation of foreign interests investing in U.S. projects, as well as representing business organizations in which the respective principals have included both domestic and foreign interests.
In addition to his law practice, Howard has taught, over a period of 15 years, two courses at Northwestern University School of Law. He works with various organizations on a pro bono basis, including Writers Theatre of Glencoe, Illinois, which he serves as outside corporate and real estate counsel.
Howard is recognized as a leader by a number of organizations and publications in Real estate law.
- First Industrial Realty Trust, Inc. (NYSE: FR)
- Odyssey Homes
- Pacific Office Properties Trust
- Priority Capital Group, LLC
- The Shidler Group
- First Industrial Realty Trust Joint Ventures with CalSTRS
Represented First Industrial in the formation of four joint ventures with CalSTRS, including three joint ventures for an aggregate investment of $1.8 billion in U.S. real estate and a $285 million joint venture for real estate investment in Canada; and in the negotiation of several subscription debt facilities with WestLB AG, New York branch, including two multicurrency facilities totaling $950 million.
- The Shidler Group/Pacific Office Properties Trust Reverse Merger
Represented The Shidler Group in connection with the formation of a new public west coast-focused office properties REIT in a "reverse merger" transaction involving the contribution of The Shidler Group's western U.S. office building portfolio to a newly created operating partnership subsidiary of Pacific Office Properties Trust and the assumption of indebtedness in excess of $750 million.
- European Operating Platform
Headed up a team that created a European operating platform for a public U.S. real estate company having operations and investment activities in Belgium, France, Germany and the Netherlands, as well as financial and managerial operations in Luxembourg. The project involved cross-border tax strategy in each of the countries of interest for the client and its institutional co-investors, as well as legal engineering in the areas of corporate matters, employment and real estate law, and supervised coordination of local counsel in each EU country of interest.
- Canadian Investment Banking Firm
Represented Canadian investment banking firm in connection with cross-border investments in the United States, including timeshare projects in California, Nevada and Hawaii.
Counsel to FINRA-licensed broker-dealer engaged in structuring and raising non-listed REIT equity equivalents for listed REITs.
- AMEX Investment Management Company
Engaged as corporate counsel to AMEX investment management company.
Professional Activities and Honors
- Ranked, Illinois Real Estate, Chambers USA (2008-2017)
- Selected, Real Estate Law, The Best Lawyers in America® (2006-2017)
- Selected, Illinois Super Lawyers (2005, 2008-2017)
- Selected, Leading Lawyers Network (2003-2016)
- Top Ten Real Estate (2015-2016)
- William M. Trumbull Adjunct Professor of Law, Northwestern University School of Law
- Real Estate Transactions, Fall Semester (1999-Present)
- Advanced Real Estate Transactions, Spring Semester (1999-Present)
- Outstanding Adjunct Professor (2004-2005, 2007)
- Member, American College of Real Estate Lawyers (ACREL)
- Member, American Land Title Association (ALTA)
- Member, National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts (NAREIT)
- Representing Purchasers in Portfolio Transactions, The ACREL Papers, Fall, 1999
- Associate Editor, University of Chicago Law Review (1971-1972)
- Barack Ferrazzano Attorneys Named 2017 Illinois Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Barack Ferrazzano Recognized by U.S. News Best Law Firms 2017
- Twelve Barack Ferrazzano Attorneys Named 2017 U.S. News - Best Lawyers®
- Chambers USA Recognizes Barack Ferrazzano as Top Illinois Law Firm for 9 Consecutive Years
- Three Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg Partners Named 2016 Top Ten Real Estate Lawyers in Illinois
- Barack Ferrazzano Attorneys Named 2016 Illinois Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Barack Ferrazzano Recognized by U.S. News Best Law Firms 2016
- Eleven Barack Ferrazzano Attorneys Named 2016 U.S. News - Best Lawyers®
- Chambers USA Recognizes Barack Ferrazzano as Top Illinois Law Firm For 8 Consecutive Years
- Three Barack Ferrazzano Partners Named 2015 Top Ten Leading Lawyers in Real Estate
- Barack Ferrazzano Attorneys Named Illinois Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Barack Ferrazzano Recognized in U.S. News 2015 Best Law Firms Ranking
- Eight Barack Ferrazzano Attorneys Named 2015 U.S. News - Best Lawyers®
- Chambers USA Names Barack Ferrazzano Top Illinois Real Estate Law Firm For 7 Straight Years
- Barack Ferrazzano Named in U.S. News 2014 Best Law Firms Ranking
- Chambers USA Names Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg Top Illinois Real Estate Law Firm For 6th Consecutive Year
- Barack Ferrazzano Real Estate Group's William F. Baarsma Elected Partner
- Five BFKN attorneys named 2013 "Best Lawyers"
- Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg Once Again Ranked Top Illinois Real Estate Firm by Chambers USA 2012
- Eighteen BFKN attorneys named 2012 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg ranked #1 Illinois Real Estate Firm by 2011 Chambers USA
- Eighteen BFKN attorneys named Top 5% in Illinois by Leading Lawyers
- Seventeen BFKN attorneys named 2011 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Thirteen BFKN attorneys named 2010 Leading Lawyers
- Fifteen BFKN attorneys named 2010 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg ranked #1 Illinois Real Estate Firm again by 2009 Chambers USA
- Thirteen BFKN attorneys named 2009 Leading Lawyers
- Barack Ferrazzano ranked #1 in Illinois Real Estate by 2008 Chambers USA