Howard concentrates his practice in the representation of public and private companies in the real estate and financial services industries. He has substantial experience in the representation of real estate investment trusts (REITs), both in the transactional and corporate contexts. In addition to working with senior management of his clients, Howard also works closely with the directors of those companies, so as to facilitate their interaction with senior management and the discharge of their responsibilities.
Howard's clients also include real estate developers, lenders, contractors, lessors, brokers, syndicators, investors, insurers, technology providers, broker-dealers and investment managers, with particular experience in joint ventures and other co-investment structures. Howard also has in-depth experience in international real estate transactions, both in the representation of U.S. interests overseas in their development and investment activities, and in the representation of foreign interests investing in U.S. projects, as well as representing business organizations in which the respective principals have included both domestic and foreign interests.
In addition to his law practice, Howard has taught, over a period of 15 years, two courses at Northwestern University School of Law. He works with various organizations on a pro bono basis, including Writers Theatre of Glencoe, Illinois, which he serves as outside corporate and real estate counsel.
Howard is recognized as a leader by a number of organizations and publications in Real estate law.
Represented First Industrial in the formation of four joint ventures with CalSTRS, including three joint ventures for an aggregate investment of $1.8 billion in U.S. real estate and a $285 million joint venture for real estate investment in Canada; and in the negotiation of several subscription debt facilities with WestLB AG, New York branch, including two multicurrency facilities totaling $950 million.
Represented The Shidler Group in connection with the formation of a new public west coast-focused office properties REIT in a "reverse merger" transaction involving the contribution of The Shidler Group's western U.S. office building portfolio to a newly created operating partnership subsidiary of Pacific Office Properties Trust and the assumption of indebtedness in excess of $750 million.
Headed up a team that created a European operating platform for a public U.S. real estate company having operations and investment activities in Belgium, France, Germany and the Netherlands, as well as financial and managerial operations in Luxembourg. The project involved cross-border tax strategy in each of the countries of interest for the client and its institutional co-investors, as well as legal engineering in the areas of corporate matters, employment and real estate law, and supervised coordination of local counsel in each EU country of interest.
Represented Canadian investment banking firm in connection with cross-border investments in the United States, including timeshare projects in California, Nevada and Hawaii
Counsel to FINRA-licensed broker-dealer engaged in structuring and raising non-listed REIT equity equivalents for listed REITs.
Engaged as corporate counsel to AMEX investment management company.
Professional Activities & Honors
- Selected, Real Estate Law, The Best Lawyers in America® (2006-2018)
- Ranked, Illinois Real Estate, Chambers USA (2008-2017)
- Selected, Illinois Super Lawyers (2005, 2008-2016)
- Selected, Leading Lawyers Network (2003-2016)
- Top Ten Real Estate (2015-2016)
- William M. Trumbull Adjunct Professor of Law, Northwestern University School of Law
- Real Estate Transactions, Fall Semester (1999-Present)
- Advanced Real Estate Transactions, Spring Semester (1999-Present)
- Outstanding Adjunct Professor (2004-2005, 2007)
- Member, American College of Real Estate Lawyers (ACREL)
- Member, American Land Title Association (ALTA)
- Member, National Association of Real Estate Investment Trusts (NAREIT)
Articles & Publications
- Representing Purchasers in Portfolio TransactionsFall 1999 – The ACREL Papers
- University of Chicago Law Review1971-1972
- 11/1/2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- Three Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg Partners Named 2016 Top Ten Real Estate Lawyers in Illinois3/2016
- 1/14/2015 – Super Lawyers
- Chambers USA Names Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg Top Illinois Real Estate Law Firm For 6th Consecutive Year6/10/2013
- Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg Once Again Ranked Top Illinois Real Estate Firm by Chambers USA 20126/12/2012
- 1/2010 – Law & Politics Magazine
- Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg ranked #1 Illinois Real Estate Firm again by 2009 Chambers USA7/2009 – Chambers USA
- 7/2008 – Chambers USA
University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 1973
University of Michigan, B.A., with honors, 1969
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois
- First Industrial Realty Trust
- Pacific Office Properties Trust
- The Shidler Group