- University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 1999
- North Central College, B.A., summa cum laude, 1996
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals - 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - 7th Circuit
Heather J. Macklin
Heather concentrates her practice on complex litigation matters that span a broad spectrum of commercial disputes, including breach of contract, fraud and warranty claims, enforcement of intellectual property rights and defense of class actions. She has represented clients in state, federal and appellate courts throughout the country, as well as in arbitration, mediation and administrative hearings. Although Heather has successfully tried cases to final resolution, she is cognizant of the fact that litigation can be expensive, in both time and money, for clients. As a result, she relies on an array of alternative dispute methods in order to actively seek a resolution of disputes early in the process.
Heather’s clients come from a variety of industries and include national and community financial institutions, globally recognized oil companies and renowned luxury goods manufacturers, as well as smaller, closely held corporations. For several years, Heather served as a Special Assistant Attorney General on behalf of the Illinois Gaming Board in a variety of administrative licensing proceedings.
Heather also actively participates in the Firm’s pro bono initiative, representing veterans seeking disability benefits before the Veterans Administration.
- First Industrial Realty Trust, Inc. (NYSE: FR)
- LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, S.A.
- Hayes Mechanical, L.P. v. First Industrial, L.P.
Defense of landlord, in trial and appellate courts, from mechanics lien suit brought by tenant's contractor for unpaid renovation costs.
- In re: Emerald Casino, Inc.
Represented Illinois Gaming Board as Special Assistant Attorney General in license revocation proceedings arising out of alleged misrepresentation to Board in casino license application relating to organized crime infiltration.
- Siegel v. Shell Oil Co.
Represented Shell in consumer class action in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, alleging oligopolistic control over prices in retail gasoline market.
- Trade Dress Infringement
Represented GIBC, Inc., a well-known micro-brewery (Goose Island Beer), in a trademark infringement action, successfully enjoining a competitor’s use of a beer tap handle that infringed upon GIBC’s trademarked “Goose Head” beer tap handle.
- Trademark Infringement: Luxury Goods
- Represented Louis Vuitton Malletier in a trademark infringement action, obtaining a consent injunction against the infringing party, as the infringer’s agreement to pay the legal fees Louis Vuitton incurred in the action.
- Defending Moët Hennessy in a trademark infringement action, obtaining a favorable settlement.
- Defending De Beers Diamond Jewellers Ltd. in a trademark infringement action, obtaining a favorable settlement.
- Represented GoSmile, Inc in a trademark infringement and trade dress action against against a major retailer, obtaining a favorable settlement.
- Represented Walmart Stores Inc. in the appeal of a decision by the PTO’s Trademark and Appeal Board regarding an attempt to cancel one of Walmart’s trademark registrations and Walmart’s opposition to the applications to register allegedly conflicting trademarks, obtaining a favorable result.
- Client Alert: CSBS Releases New BSA/AML Compliance Tool
- Client Alert: Banks Face Continued Threat of ADA Website Accessibility Lawsuits
- Client Alert: Federal Banking Regulators Expand Banks Eligible for Extended 18-Month Examination Cycle
- Client Alert: Quick Legal Checkup for Your Trademarks
- Client Alert: Trademark Owners: Prepare for Launch of New Generic Top-Level Domain Program
- Client Alert: Protect Your Trademark from Registration as a .XXX Domain