Howard is one of the founders of Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg LLP. He concentrates his practice on commercial real estate and related corporate, securities and business planning matters. Howard has extensive experience in the formation of joint ventures between institutional partners and developers and in the acquisition, development, leasing and disposition of office buildings, shopping centers and other retail locations, multi-family housing, industrial buildings and mixed used facilities, as well as real estate financings, restructurings and foreclosures.
Howard is frequently recognized as one of real estate law's top-ranked practitioners in Illinois by Chambers USA; Best Lawyers in America; Who's Who Legal; Super Lawyers; and the Leading Lawyers, among others. Most recently, Howard was named the Best Lawyers® 2014 Chicago Litigation - Real Estate “Lawyer of the Year.”
Represented numerous REITs and other real property owners in connection with the acquisition, development or disposition of hundreds of office, retail, senior housing, apartment, condominium and industrial properties throughout the United States.
Represented both landlords and tenants in shopping center, office and industrial leasing projects
Represented numerous financial institutions in connection with hundreds of real estate loans related to properties throughout the United States with an outstanding aggregate indebtedness of billions of dollars.
Represented numerous financial institutions in connection with the restructuring of, or litigation regarding loans secured by mortgages on over 100 different properties located throughout the United States with an outstanding aggregate indebtedness substantially in excess of one billion dollars.
Professional Activities & Honors
- Top Ranked, Illinois Real Estate, Chambers USA (2008-2017)
- Selected, Best Lawyers in America® (2006-2017)
- Litigation - Real Estate Law
- Real Estate Law
- Selected, Illinois Super Lawyers (2005-2017)
- Selected, Leading Lawyers Network (2003-2016)
- Top Ten Real Estate (2016)
- Top 100 Real Estate: Commercial & Finance
- Named, Chicago Litigation - Real Estate “Lawyer of the Year,” Best Lawyers in America® (2014)
- Member, American Bar Association
- Selected, Legal 500
- Selected, Who's Who Legal
Other Events & Speaking Engagements
- Has spoken at numerous seminars and conferences on various joint venture, real property, secured lending and workout related issues.
- Three Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg Partners Named 2016 Top Ten Real Estate Lawyers in Illinois3/2016
- 01/14/2015 – Super Lawyers
- Chambers USA Names Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg Top Illinois Real Estate Law Firm For 6th Consecutive Year06/10/2013
- Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg Once Again Ranked Top Illinois Real Estate Firm by Chambers USA 201206/12/2012
- 1/2010 – Law & Politics Magazine
- Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg ranked #1 Illinois Real Estate Firm again by 2009 Chambers USA7/2009 – Chambers USA
- 7/2008 – Chambers USA
University of Michigan Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, 1979
Northwestern University, with distinction, Phi Beta Kappa, 1976
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois
- Bank of America
- Guggenheim Partners
- Neuberger Berman
- Retail Properties of America, Inc.