John is Chairman of the Firm's Financial Institutions Group.
In addition to heading the Firm’s banking practice, John has advised hundreds of financial institutions on strategic, corporate governance and other matters for over 30 years. His extensive experience includes the representation of numerous public companies, as well as regional and community banks. John spends considerable time counseling institutions with respect to mergers and acquisitions, regulatory enforcement, and securities and corporate law matters.
John has been teaching banking law at Northwestern University School of Law since 2001. He previously taught bank holding company law at Chicago Kent College of Law's graduate program in financial services law and has been a visiting lecturer at other law schools. He is a well-known speaker at national conferences involving the financial institutions area, addressing bank trade associations, regulators and industry groups across the country. He is one of only three recipients of the Illinois Bankers Association’s Distinguished Bank Counsel Award.
He is the Co-Editor of the two-volume handbook, Advising Illinois Financial Institutions. A long time member of the American Bar Association Business Law Section’s Banking Law Committee, he is the founder and also served as Chairman of its Community Bank Matters Subcommittee.
- Adjunct Professor, Banking Law, Northwestern University School of Law, since 2001
- Recipient of IBA’s Distinguished Bank Counsel Award
- Chairman, ABA Business Law Section’s Community Banking Subcommittee
- Adjunct Professor, Graduate Financial Services Program, IIT/Chicago Kent College of Law
- Member, American Bar Association Banking Law Committee, since 1981
- Co-Editor of the two volume Advising Illinois Financial Institutions (2006)
- Selected, The Best Lawyers in America® (2007-2017)
- Banking and Finance Law
- Financial Services Regulation Law
- Selected, Illinois Super Lawyers (2009-2013, 2017)
- Selected, Leading Lawyers Network (2006-2016)
- 2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Banking & Finance Law, American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell™
S&P Global Market Intelligence rankings has listed our Firm as one of the top firms in the nation in number of announced bank and thrift merger and acquisition transactions during the past 10 years. For the last decade, our Firm ranked #1 in the Midwest. In total, we have represented buyers and sellers of financial institutions in more than 200 mergers and acquisitions.
The Financial Institutions Group has grown to 30 lawyers representing over 250 banks across the country. The group prides itself in providing to banks the same efficient, experienced and responsive service that its banking clients provide to their customers. As a result, we are a national leader in bank M&A deals the past 10 years. We also have one of the largest groups of regulatory attorneys in the country serving regional and community banks in regulatory enforcement, workout, restructuring and compliance matters.
- 1/2010 – Law & Politics Magazine
- June 21-23, 2017
- January 25-27, 2015
- May 6-7, 2013
- January 27-29, 2013
- June 20, 2012
- 2012 "What Bank Management and Boards Need to Know in 2012," Acquire or Be Acquired Conference (Phoenix, AZ)
- January 26-27, 2012
- December 12-13, 2011
- 2011 Legal Guidance for the Board & Executive Management: Lessons Learned from Problem Banks, How to Avoid Becoming a Problem Bank (Washington, DC)
- 2011 Corporate Governance, Regulatory and Compliance Update (Davenport, IA)
- 2011 IBA Annual Convention (Lake Geneva, WI)
- January 30-February 1, 2011
- January 27-28, 2011
- September 28-29, 2010
- 2010 Bank Director's Acquire or Be Acquired Conference, "What Bank Boards and CEOs Need to Know in 2010," (Scottsdale, AZ)
- Client Alert: Importance of Understanding Anti-Fraud Initiatives & Cultivating Law Enforcement Relationships06/13/2017
- 05/2/2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 04/25/2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 04/20/2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 03/2/2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 01/4/2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- Client Alert: Federal Banking Regulators Expand Banks Eligible for Extended 18-Month Examination Cycle12/20/2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 12/15/2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- Client Alert: Important General Takeaways from the Recent Congressional Hearings on Bank Incentive Practices11/3/2016
- 02/11/2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 01/15/2016 – , Bank Director, 1st Quarter 2016, Vol. 26, No. 1
- 03/18/2015 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 04/22/2013 – , BankDirector Magazine, 2nd Quarter 2013, Volume 23, Number 2