- Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1998
- University of Michigan, B.A., 1995
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois
Robert M. Fleetwood
Rob is part of the Financial Institutions Group and is the Leader of the group's securities law practice area. Rob concentrates his practice on financial institutions, securities, and general corporate matters. He regularly represents financial institutions on public and private securities offerings, recapitalizations, mergers and acquisitions and contract negotiations. He has recently been assisting clients with the various government programs aimed at assisting financial institutions through the current economic environment. Additionally, Rob works closely with clients on their continued compliance with federal and state securities laws, including reporting under the Securities Exchange Act and with corporate governance.
Rob is an adjunct professor in banking law at the Northwestern University School of Law. He was an adjunct professor of securities law in the graduate program in financial services law at the Chicago Kent College of Law for five years. Rob is also a frequent speaker in the financial institutions and securities law areas to trade associations and professionals.
- Bank Mergers and Acquisitions
SNL Securities rankings has listed our Firm as one of the top firms in the nation in number of announced bank and thrift merger and acquisition transactions during the past 10 years. For the last decade, our Firm ranked #1 in the Midwest. In total, we have represented buyers and sellers of financial institutions in more than 200 mergers and acquisitions.
- Capital Raising Transactions
Represented many financial institutions with respect to public offerings and private placements of common stock, subordinated debentures and convertible subordinated debentures.
- Securities Regulation and Compliance for Publicly-Traded Bank Holding Companies
Represent multiple publicly-traded bank holding companies.
- Treasury's Capital Purchase Program
Represented a number of financial institutions with respect to their application and receipt of funds under Treasury's Capital Purchase Program.
Professional Activities and Honors
- Adjunct Professor, Banking Law, Northwestern University School of Law
- Member, American Bar Association, Corporate Law and Banking Law Committees
- Adjunct Professor, Securities Law, Graduate Program in Financial Services Law, Chicago Kent College of Law (2002 - 2007)
- Client Alert Update: FinTech & Bank Partnerships
- Client Alert: Why Would a Bank Dissolve Its Parent Corporation?
- Client Alert: Tailored Director Training Programs
- Client Alert: CSBS Releases New BSA/AML Compliance Tool
- Client Alert: Key Takeaways from ABA's 2017 Washington Banking Law Committee Meeting
- When to Raise Capital in an Acquisition?
- Client Alert: Banks Face Continued Threat of ADA Website Accessibility Lawsuits
- Client Alert: Federal Banking Regulators Expand Banks Eligible for Extended 18-Month Examination Cycle
- Client Alert: U.S. Supreme Court Gives Broad Interpretation to Bank Fraud Statute
- Client Alert: OCC to Offer Special Purpose National Charters to FinTech Companies
- Client Alert: Pay Ratio Disclosure Implementation
- Client Alert: Don't Forget the Behavioral Impact of Product Incentive Plans
- Client Alert: Important General Takeaways from the Recent Congressional Hearings on Bank Incentive Practices
- Client Alert: New DOL Fiduciary Rule Requires Every Bank's Attention
- Client Alert: Quick Legal Checkup for Your Trademarks
- Client Alert: Threats of ADA Website Accessibility Lawsuits Increasing in the Financial Sector
- Client Alert: Avoiding New Third-Party Lending Risks for Banks
- Client Alert: WARNING: Troubled Loans Ahead
- Client Alert: Department of Labor Updates Salary Level Test of Overtime Regulations
- Client Alert: Proposed Incentive Compensation Rules
- Client Alert: Don't Abandon Your Rights When You Abandon a Foreclosure
- Client Alert: Hot Topics for Vendor Management in 2016
- Client Alert: Federal Appeals Court To Banks: CAUTION
- Client Alert: Tailored Director Training Programs
- Doing an Acquisition? Don't Forget the CRA Rating
- Client Alert: Governor Rauner Signs Quasi-Reorganization Legislation
- Client Alert: Preparing for the New Pay Ratio Disclosure Rules
- Client Alert: Respond With Caution to Community Group Questionnaires
- Client Alert: New Law Helps Recovering Banks Pay Dividends
- Client Alert: Don't Lose Your Bank's Domain to a Competitor
- Client Alert: Cybersecurity - "The Best Defense is a Good Offense"
- Client Alert: Basel III in Bite-Sized Pieces
- Client Alert: Cybersecurity Risks Impact Trusted Relationships
- Audit Committee: Important Questions to Ask Regarding Your Strategic Plan
- Ten Things Community Bankers Need to Know About the Jobs Act
- What Bank Audit Committee Members Should Focus on Now
Events & Speaking Engagements
- 2017 Bank Audit & Risk Committees Conference
- 2017 Spring Financial Institution Strategic Forum
- 2017 Bank Director's Acquire or Be Acquired Conference
- 2016 Fall Financial Institution Strategic Forum
- 2016 Illinois Bankers Association Annual Conference & Trade Show
- 18th Annual Financial Institutions Conference
- 2016 Financial Institution Strategic Forum
- 2016 SNL 5th Annual Community Bankers Conference
- 2015 Fall Financial Institution Strategic Forum (Milwaukee, WI)
- 2015 Illinois Bankers Association Annual Conference & Trade Show (Peoria, IL)
- 2015 Bank Director's Bank Audit & Risk Committees Conference (Chicago, IL)
- 2015 Chicago Banking Symposium (Chicago, IL)
- 2015 Financial Institution Strategic Forum (Oak Brook, IL)
- 2014 Illinois Bankers Association 123rd Annual Conference & Trade Show (Chicago, IL)
- 2014 Bank Director's Bank Audit & Risk Committees Conference (Chicago, IL)
- 2014 Financial Institution Strategic Forum (Oak Brook, IL)
- 2014 Financial Institution Strategic Forum (Ft. Wayne, IN)
- 2013 Illinois Bankers Association 122nd Annual Conference & Trade Show (St. Louis, MO)
- 2013 Bank Director's Bank Audit Committee Conference (Chicago, IL)
- 2013 Financial Institution Strategic Forum (Oak Brook, IL )
- 2013 The Illinois Community Banking Forum (Utica, IL)
- 2013 Capital Raising Environment for Banks (Webcast)
- 2012 IBA's Midwest Bank Leaders Conference (Chicago, IL)
- 2012 Making Sense of the Current Bank M&A Environment (Webcast)
- 2012 IBA's 121st Annual Conference & Trade Show (Indianapolis, IN)
- 2012 Bank Director's Audit Committee Conference (Chicago, IL)
- 2012 American Bankers Association, "The New Deregistration Thresholds under the JOBS Act: What Community Bankers Should Know."
- 2012 Outlook for Bank M&A (Webinar)
- 2011 Bank Director's Bank Audit Committee Conference (Chicago, IL)
- 2011 "Current Legal and Strategic Issues," Illinois Bankers Association
- 2010 Is Your Bank at Risk? (Webinar)
- 2010 Bank Director's Bank Audit Committee Conference: Insight on Oversight (Chicago, IL)
- 2010 Legal Update for Community Bankers (Chicago, IL)
- First Busey Corporation to Acquire Mid Illinois Bancorp, Inc.
- First Busey Corporation to Acquire First Community Financial Partners, Inc.
- #1 M&A Legal Advisor for Banks in the Midwest
- Old Second National Bank to Acquire Chicago Branch of Talmer Bank and Trust
- Financial Institutions Group Mid-Year Review / BFKN #1 Nationally in M&A
- First Community Financial Corporation to Merge with Wintrust Financial Corporation
- QCR Holdings, Inc. to Acquire Community State Bank of Ankeny, Iowa
- First Clover Leaf Financial to Merge with First Mid-Illinois Bancshares
- Midland States Bancorp, Inc. Plans Initial Public Offering
- First Community Financial Partners, Inc. and First Mazon Bancorp, Inc. Announce Signing of Definitive Agreement
- First Busey Corporation to Acquire Pulaski Financial Corp.
- County Bancorp, Inc. to Acquire Fox River Valley Bancorp, Inc.
- First Midwest Bancorp, Inc. to Acquire NI Bancshares Corp.
- MidWestOne Raises $8.4M in Private Placement
- MidWestOne Completes Minneapolis Deal
- Citizens National Bank of Albion Acquirers The Bank of Lawrence County
- Horizon Bancorp Enters into a Merger Agreement to Acquire Peoples Bancorp
- Barack Ferrazzano Represents First Busey Corporation in Acquisition of Herget Financial Corporation
- Barack Ferrazzano Financial Institutions Group Represents MidWestOne in Minneapolis Deal
- Barack Ferrazzano Financial Institutions Group Enhances Upper Midwest Focus
- How Will Basel III Impact Banks?
- Bank Director Report: 2012 Audit Committee Conference
- What audit committees need to know