- Corporate & Securities
- Intellectual Property
- Motor Vehicle Group
- Financial Institutions
- Cybersecurity & Technology Team
- Northwestern University Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 1998
- DePaul University, B.S., with highest honors, 1995
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois
Karyn L. Doerfler
Karyn is a corporate attorney with over ten years of experience in corporate and securities law, with a concentration in transactional intellectual property law. Karyn also has significant experience in privacy law.
Her general corporate practice includes counseling public and private companies in all phases of strategic transactions, such as mergers, acquisitions, and sale transactions. In addition to negotiating purchase and sale agreements and other complex strategic transaction documents on both the buy and sell sides, Karyn advises clients on the intellectual property issues inherent in business transactions, including intellectual property-related due diligence and risk evaluation.
Karyn’s work in the intellectual property arena also includes: drafting and negotiating a variety of non-patent intellectual property license agreements and other arrangements on behalf of both licensors and licensees, including agreements relating to trademarks and trade dress, copyrights, trade secrets, and software; drafting and negotiating software development and resale agreements; advising clients on invention and other proprietary rights assignment agreements; and assisting clients with the evaluation of their intellectual property portfolios.
In addition, Karyn helps clients keep abreast of developments in the areas of privacy and data protection and advises clients on applicable disclosure and compliance requirements. Her breadth of knowledge in these areas extend to the FTC regulations and the privacy of laws of various states. Furthermore, she assists clients in developing and revising privacy and consumer disclosures, terms of service, and other privacy and consumer protection issues, based on applicable information technology protocols and personnel capabilities.
Karyn also provides general corporate legal counsel to clients of all sizes in a range of industries, advising individuals and entities on a broad range of corporate matters, including complex contract negotiation, compliance and enforcement, and general operational matters. She also represents both investors and entities in capital-raising and financing transactions.
Professional Activities and Honors
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Client Alert: Banks Face Continued Threat of ADA Website Accessibility Lawsuits
- Client Alert: Federal Banking Regulators Expand Banks Eligible for Extended 18-Month Examination Cycle
- Client Alert: OCC to Offer Special Purpose National Charters to FinTech Companies
- Client Alert: Quick Legal Checkup for Your Trademarks
- Client Alert: Threats of ADA Website Accessibility Lawsuits Increasing in the Financial Sector
- Client Alert: President Obama Signs Defend Trade Secrets Act
- Client Alert: USPTO Proposes Major Rule Changes to TTAB
- Client Alert: Don't Lose Your Bank's Domain to a Competitor
- Client Alert: Cybersecurity - "The Best Defense is a Good Offense"
- Client Alert: Manufacturers & Retailers: Be Aware of the Legal Risks Involved in Online Reviews
- Client Alert: Trademark Owners: Prepare for Launch of New Generic Top-Level Domain Program
- Client Alert: Protect Your Trademark from Registration as a .XXX Domain