Michael is an associate in the Firm's Litigation Group with extensive experience in all aspects of civil litigation from initial discovery through post-trial briefing. He has drafted substantial portions of post-trial briefs, bench memoranda during trial, motions in limine, motions to compel, and more. He also has trial-level experience related to privilege claims, procedure, and evidence.
Prior to joining Barack Ferrazzano, Michael was an associate with a global law firm where he served corporations and individuals in tax controversy matters in both the US Tax Court and federal district court. He has represented and counseled clients across multiple industries, including, medical equipment, energy, telecommunications, hospitality, and electronics. His practice focused in particular on significant corporate cases involving transfer pricing, IRC Section 481 disputes , debt-equity characterizations, and leasing transactions.
Michael has also been an active participant in pro bono legal services. He has previously represented individuals in tax controversies, special education, and family law.
Professional Activities & Honors
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association, Taxation Section
- Comments Editor, The Chicago Journal of International Law
- Recipient of the University of Chicago Law School’s Casper Platt Award (2014)
Other Events & Speaking Engagements
Panel Presentation, “Transfer Pricing Litigation Round-Up,” ABA Taxation Section (2017)
Articles & Publications
- “The Common European Sales Law’s Compliance with the Subsidiarity Principle of the European Union,” 14 Chi. J. Int’l L. 317Spring 2013 –