- University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2011
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, Masters of Accountancy, 2008
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.A., Business Administration in Accounting, 2007
Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of Illinois
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court Western District of Wisconsin Bar
K.C. concentrates his practice on executive compensation, employee benefits and tax matters. Prior to joining Barack Ferrazzano, he was a senior tax and employee benefits associate in the National Tax Department of Ernst & Young, LLP. During his time there, K.C. assisted clients with a wide range of compensation and tax related activities, such as the review and examination of employee retirement, health and welfare, and executive compensation plans and agreements, through tax planning, compliance and operational analyses. He has experience conducting comprehensive reviews of qualified retirement plans, including pension, 401(k) and profit sharing plans for Fortune 150 companies to ensure compliance with the Internal Revenue Service and Department of Labor and remediation of failures through voluntary correction programs, as well as examining non-qualified deferred compensation plan documents for compliance with the Internal Revenue Code, including Section 409A. In addition, K.C. has conducted pension governance audits to assess whether plan sponsors have properly discharged fiduciary duties under ERISA Title I and has determined payments due to executives upon changes of control.
Along with his compensation and tax practice, K.C. dedicates his time on a pro bono basis preparing wills and power of attorney documents for the Wills For Heroes Foundation, a program which provides essential legal documents free of charge to our nation’s first responders.
Professional Activities and Honors
- Selected, Illinois Rising Stars, Super Lawyers (2017)
- Member, Chicago Bar Association, Employee Benefits Committee
- Member, National Association of Stock Plan Professionals
- Member, Wisconsin Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Wills for Heroes, Prepare wills and power of attorney documents on pro bono basis
- Recipient, Highest Performance Award in Taxation 2, University of Wisconsin Law School
- Client Alert: CSBS Releases New BSA/AML Compliance Tool
- Client Alert: Banks Face Continued Threat of ADA Website Accessibility Lawsuits
- Client Alert: Federal Banking Regulators Expand Banks Eligible for Extended 18-Month Examination Cycle
- Client Alert: Pay Ratio Disclosure Implementation
- Client Alert: New DOL Fiduciary Rule Requires Every Bank's Attention
- Client Alert: Department of Labor Updates Salary Level Test of Overtime Regulations
- Client Alert: Proposed Incentive Compensation Rules
- Client Alert: Preparing for the New Pay Ratio Disclosure Rules
- First Busey Corporation to Acquire Mid Illinois Bancorp, Inc.
- #1 M&A Legal Advisor for Banks in the Midwest
- Barack Ferrazzano Attorneys Named 2017 Illinois Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Barack Ferrazzano Represents LVMH in $650M Sale of Donna Karan International
- Financial Institutions Group Mid-Year Review / BFKN #1 Nationally in M&A
- Ridgestone Financial Services, Inc. to Merge with Byline Bancorp, Inc.
- Midland States Bancorp, Inc. Plans Initial Public Offering
- First Busey Corporation to Acquire Pulaski Financial Corp.
- Allendale Bancorp Inc. to Acquire First State Bank of West Salem
- First Midwest Bancorp, Inc. to Acquire NI Bancshares Corp.
- Alerus Financial Expands Service Offerings with Acquisition of Alliance Benefit Group North Central States, Inc.
- Alerus Financial, N.A. Announces Acquisition of Beacon Bank
- Barack Ferrazzano Welcomes Compensation & Employment Group Attorney K.C. Klagos