Some of the world’s largest companies trust Dan to litigate complex commercial cases on their behalf in federal and state courts. Dan has handled numerous matters in trial courts throughout the United States, the U.S. Courts of Appeal, and the United States Supreme Court.
Chair of the Firm’s Recruiting Committee, Dan has a knack for boiling complex cases down to their essence. He has prosecuted and defended claims involving breach of contract, negligence, fraud, civil conspiracy, motor vehicle franchise statutes, price discrimination, state and federal securities laws, and trademark and trade dress infringement (among other things). Dan also has significant experience grappling with, and untangling, complex statutory and regulatory regimes. The depth and breadth of Dan’s experience pay dividends when the facts are thorny, the legal regime unclear, or both.
Although he spent his hard-charging youth in Chicago’s South Loop and Lakeview neighborhoods, Dan now lives in the western suburbs of Chicago with his wife, daughter, and a rapidly mellowing Labrador named Lucy.
Professional Activities & Honors
- Law Clerk, Hon. Joel M. Flaum, U.S. Court of Appeals – Seventh Circuit (2010-11)
- Law Clerk, Hon. Robert M. Dow, Jr., U.S. District Court – Northern District of Illinois (2009-10)
- Editorial Board, University of Chicago Law Review (2007-08)
Other Events & Speaking Engagements
- Guest Lecture, "Persuasive Brief Drafting," University of Chicago Law School (2013)
- Presentation, "A Walk in the Clouds: E-Discovery, Cloud Computing, and Emerging Technologies," Chicago, Illinois (2013)
Articles & Publications
- "Defining the Appellate Universe: Does FRCP 52(b) Impose a Duty on Litigants?,"2008 – 75 U. CHI. L. REV. 1633
University of Chicago Law School, J.D., with honors, 2008
The College of William & Mary, BA, magna cum laude, 2002
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals - 7th Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)