Michael has represented clients in complex litigation and government contracting matters for more than twenty years. Michael represents clients in all types of litigation, including commercial and business litigation, employment litigation, products liability litigation, multi-district litigation, and appellate litigation. He practices in both state and federal courts; has tried cases in both state and federal courts and in arbitrations; has conducted preliminary injunction hearings in cases seeking to enforce restrictive employment covenants; and has briefed and argued federal and state court appeals. His clients have included a large medical device company, a fuel wholesaler, various manufacturing companies and real estate developers.
- Lead trial lawyer in Petroleum Traders Corp. v. Baltimore County, et al., No.1:06-CV-00444 BEL (D. Md.). Obtained jury verdict exceeding $750,000 for largest pure wholesale fuel distributor in the country in breach of contract action. The jury award included the full amount of damages sought plus lost profits and prejudgment interest.
- Lead trial lawyer in Petroleum Traders Corp. v. State of North Carolina, et al., No. 06 CV 008116, a lawsuit for damages arising from a breach of contract.
- Lead trial lawyer for Petroleum Traders Corp. in an objection to the South Carolina Procurement Review Panel. In Re: Appeal of Petroleum Traders, Case No. 2006-8 (S.C. Procure. Rev. Panel, Jan. 27, 2007).
- Represented prevailing party in appeal to United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. Thompson v. Goetzman, 315 F.3d 457 (5th Cir. 2002); 337 F.3d 489 (5th Cir. 2003).
- Represented medical device manufacturer in various products liability matters and before Panel on Multidistrict Litigation. The Panel denied the request for multi-district treatment on two separate occasions.
- Represented petitioner in appeal to the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. Sekerak v. Railroad Ret. Board, No. 96-3061, 1996 WL 637246 (Fed. Cir. Nov. 4, 1996).
- Represented mortgage company in litigation involving truth in lending allegations. Talbert v. Home Sav. of America, F.A., 638 N.E.2d 354 (Ill. App. Ct. 1994).
- Represented mortgage company in litigation involving escrow accounts. Aitken v. Fleet Mortgage Corp., No. 90-C-3708, 1992 WL 33926 (N.D. Ill. Feb. 12, 1992).
Professional Activities & Honors
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Indiana State Bar Association
- Member, Allen County Bar Association
Northwestern University, J.D., cum laude, 1988
Bucknell University, B.S.B.A., magna cum laude, 1985
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois
- State of Indiana
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court - Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. Court of Appeals - 2nd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals - 9th Circuit