- Harvard University Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 1970
- Oxford University, B.Phil. (Lincoln College-1966) (Nuffield College-1967)
- Princeton University, A.B., summa cum laude, 1965
Peter J. Barack
Peter is the senior partner and a founder of Barack Ferrazzano. He practices in the area of corporate and securities law with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions and financial planning matters. He regularly represents clients in mergers and acquisitions, strategic business planning and other sorts of corporate counseling. In addition, he advises a variety of large public companies, including many foreign companies in their American business activities.
As examples of the diverse nature of his practice activities, Peter has represented a large French public company in its $3.2 billion acquisition of a 62.5 percent interest in an international retailer, another large French company in the merger of its business travel services subsidiary with an American business travel company to form an international company with over $8 billion in annual turnover, the controlling family in a merger of its publicly held sporting goods company into a large privately held sporting goods company and its subsequent listing on the NASDAQ national market system, and a public company in its $350 million acquisition by way of a tender offer and merger into a private equity fund.
Peter began his career as an Assistant Professor of Business Administration at Harvard Business School and an Associate Professor of Law at Northwestern University Law School. He has continued his academic affiliations by serving as an Adjunct Professor of Corporate Law and the holder of the Edward Avery Harriman Lectureship at Northwestern Law School, where he teaches Business Planning, Corporate Finance, and Securities Regulation. He also is an Adjunct Professor in Finance at Northwestern’s Kellogg School of Management where he teaches Mergers and Acquisitions. He also teaches Mergers and Acquisitions in various mid-career Executive Programs at the Kellogg School of Management.
Peter is the author of numerous articles on corporate and securities matters, a speaker on corporate law subjects, and a member of various corporate law committees, including the Ray Garrett Jr. Corporate and Securities Law Institute and the Corporate Counsel Institute for which he served as Planning Director for many years.
- Accor S.A.
- Christian Dior
- Donna Karan International
- Hilco Trading
- Louis Vuitton North America
- LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, S.A.
- Principal U.S. Counsel LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton
The Firm has a longstanding relationship with LVMH, an iconic luxury goods and services conglomerate with 60+ brands, serving as outside counsel for its corporate and real estate transactions, as well as intellectual property and litigation matters around the world, and providing strategic legal counsel in connection with acquisitions, dispositions, joint ventures, brand management, employment agreements, and endorsement agreements.
- Fendi Acquisition of Taramax SA
Represented Fendi in its acquisition of a controlling interest in Taramax SA, its watch licensee, and entry into long term license agreement.
- LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton Acquisition of Hotel Saint-Barth Isle de France
Representation of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton in its acquisition of a UK company that owns Hotel Saint-Barth Isle de France, a 5-star hotel located on the Caribbean Island of St. Barthémy. The acquisition involved complex holding structures that required extensive tax planning and negotiations with minority shareholders.
- Football Fanatics Private Equity Investment
Representation of Football Fanatics in connection with its recapitalization and sale of Series A Preferred Shares to a well-known private equity firm.
Professional Activities and Honors
- Selected, Corporate Law, Best Lawyers in America® (2015-2016)
- Selected, Illinois Super Lawyers (2007-2016)
- Selected, Leading Lawyers Network (2004-2015)
- Recipient: Lt. John A. Larkin, Jr. Memorial Prize
- Nuffield College Fellowship
- Princeton Prize Fellowship
- Marshall Scholar
- Order of the Coif
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Member, Editorial Board, Harvard Law Review
Events & Speaking Engagements
- Kellogg School of Management's 2015 Merger Week: Creating Value Through Strategic Acquisitions & Alliances
- Barack Ferrazzano Attorneys Named 2016 Illinois Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- LVMH, Catterton and Groupe Arnault Form L Catterton
- Barack Ferrazzano Recognized by U.S. News Best Law Firms 2016
- When the CEO is sick, how much disclosure is enough?
- Eleven Barack Ferrazzano Attorneys Named 2016 U.S. News - Best Lawyers®
- Barack Ferrazzano Attorneys Named Illinois Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Barack Ferrazzano Featured in Lawyer Monthly for Estée Lauder Acquisition of Le Labo
- Barack Ferrazzano Recognized in U.S. News 2015 Best Law Firms Ranking
- Le Labo Joins Estée Lauder's Portfolio of Prestige Beauty Brands
- Eight Barack Ferrazzano Attorneys Named 2015 U.S. News - Best Lawyers®
- Eighteen BFKN attorneys named 2012 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Eighteen BFKN attorneys named Top 5% in Illinois by Leading Lawyers
- Seventeen BFKN attorneys named 2011 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Thirteen BFKN attorneys named 2010 Leading Lawyers
- Fifteen BFKN attorneys named 2010 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Thirteen BFKN attorneys named 2009 Leading Lawyers