- Harvard University Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 1970
- Oxford University, B.Phil. (Lincoln College-1966) (Nuffield College-1967)
- Princeton University, A.B., summa cum laude, 1965
Peter J. Barack
Peter is the senior partner and a founder of Barack Ferrazzano. He practices in the area of corporate and securities law with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions and financial planning matters. He regularly represents clients in mergers and acquisitions, strategic business planning and other sorts of corporate counseling. In addition, he advises a variety of large public companies, including many foreign companies in their American business activities.
As examples of the diverse nature of his practice activities, Peter has represented a large French public company in its $3.2 billion acquisition of a 62.5 percent interest in an international retailer, another large French company in the merger of its business travel services subsidiary with an American business travel company to form an international company with over $8 billion in annual turnover, the controlling family in a merger of its publicly held sporting goods company into a large privately held sporting goods company and its subsequent listing on the NASDAQ national market system, and a public company in its $350 million acquisition by way of a tender offer and merger into a private equity fund.
Peter began his career as an Assistant Professor of Business Administration at Harvard Business School and an Associate Professor of Law at Northwestern University Law School. He has continued his academic affiliations by serving as an Adjunct Professor of Corporate Law and the holder of the Edward Avery Harriman Lectureship at Northwestern Law School, where he teaches Business Planning, Corporate Finance, and Securities Regulation. He is also an Adjunct Professor in Finance at Northwestern’s Kellogg School of Management where he teaches Mergers and Acquisitions. He also teaches Mergers and Acquisitions in various mid-career Executive Programs at the Kellogg School of Management.
Peter is the author of numerous articles on corporate and securities matters, a speaker on corporate law subjects, and a member of various corporate law committees, including the Ray Garrett Jr. Corporate and Securities Law Institute and the Corporate Counsel Institute for which he served as Planning Director for many years.
- Accor S.A.
- Christian Dior
- Donna Karan International
- Hilco Trading
- Louis Vuitton North America
- LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, S.A.
- Fendi Acquisition of Taramax SA
Represented Fendi in its acquisition of a controlling interest in Taramax SA, its watch licensee, and entry into long term license agreement.
- Football Fanatics Private Equity Investment
Representation of Football Fanatics in connection with its recapitalization and sale of Series A Preferred Shares to a well-known private equity firm.
- Piazza Sempione Joint Venture
Representation of Piazza Sempione, an upscale fashion line headquartered in Milan, Italy, with respect to formation of joint venture with IK Enterprises for the development and operation of Piazza Sempione retail stores in the U.S.
Professional Activities and Honors
- Selected, Corporate Law, Best Lawyers in America® (2015)
- Selected, Illinois Super Lawyers (2007-2014)
- Selected, Leading Lawyers Network (2004-2013)
- Recipient: Lt. John A. Larkin, Jr. Memorial Prize
- Nuffield College Fellowship
- Princeton Prize Fellowship
- Marshall Scholar
- Order of the Coif
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Member, Editorial Board, Harvard Law Review
- Eight Barack Ferrazzano Attorneys Named 2015 U.S. News - Best Lawyers®
- Eighteen BFKN attorneys named 2012 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Eighteen BFKN attorneys named Top 5% in Illinois by Leading Lawyers
- Seventeen BFKN attorneys named 2011 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Thirteen BFKN attorneys named 2010 Leading Lawyers
- Fifteen BFKN attorneys named 2010 Super Lawyers and Rising Stars
- Thirteen BFKN attorneys named 2009 Leading Lawyers