- The University of Michigan Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2002
- The Ohio State University, B.A., 1999
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois
James R. Whitney
Jim concentrates his practice on general corporate and securities matters. He has experience in a number of substantive areas, including corporate finance, public offerings and private placements, joint ventures, contract negotiations and mergers and acquisitions of both public and private companies.
- Care Capital Properties, Inc. (NYSE: CCP)
- First Industrial Realty Trust, Inc. (NYSE: FR)
- Hub International Limited
- T2 Capital Management, LLC
- Ventas, Inc. (NYSE: VTR)
- First Industrial Realty Trust Stock Offerings
Served as primary counsel to NYSE-listed industrial REIT with respect to several public offerings utilizing diverse structures, including a 12.5 million share of common stock ($65.6 million) firm commitment underwriting, various "bought deal" underwritten offerings of an aggregate of over 35.1 million shares of common stock for gross proceeds of over $450 million, continuous “at-the-market” programs offering up to 10 million shares, 12.5 million shares and 13.3 million shares of common stock, respectively, and direct stock sales of up to 5 million shares pursuant to a dividend reinvestment and direct stock purchase plan. The offerings utilized takedowns from a universal shelf registration statement on which we previously represented the company.
- First Industrial Realty Trust Waterfall Debt Tender Offer
Served as primary counsel to First Industrial in connection with its cash tender offers for $160 million and $87 million, respectively, in aggregate principal amount of notes utilizing a "waterfall" structure to prioritize accepted tenders.
- First Industrial Realty Trust Credit Facilities
Served as primary counsel to First Industrial in connection with the negotiation of its $625 million unsecured revolving credit facility, $200 million unsecured term loan facility and $260 million unsecured term loan facility.
- Ventas Acquisition of Senior Care, Inc.
Served as primary counsel to Ventas, Inc., an S&P 500 company and one of the largest healthcare REITs in the U.S., in connection with the acquisition of the outstanding shares of Senior Care, Inc.
- Ventas Acquisition of Lillibridge
Served as primary counsel to Ventas in connection with its $380 million acquisition of Lillibridge Healthcare Services, Inc. and its related entities, and real estate interests in 95 medical office buildings.
- Ventas Acquisition of Sunrise Minority Interests
Served as primary counsel to Ventas in connection with its $186 million acquisition of real estate interests in 58 senior living communities from Sunrise Senior Living.
- Hub International Insurance Agency Acquisitions
Represented Hub International Limited and its affiliates in more than 25 acquisitions of insurance agencies through a combination of asset and share acquisitions.
- Medgenics, Inc. Initial Public Offering
Served as counsel to Medgenics, Inc., an Israeli clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company, in its U.S. initial public offering of common stock on the NYSE Amex.
- The Shidler Group/Pacific Office Properties Trust Reverse Merger
Represented The Shidler Group in connection with the formation of a new public west coast-focused office properties REIT in a "reverse merger" transaction involving the contribution of The Shidler Group's western U.S. office building portfolio to a newly created operating partnership subsidiary of Pacific Office Properties Trust and the assumption of indebtedness in excess of $750 million.
Professional Activities and Honors
- Member, Chicago Bar Association
- Associate Editor, Michigan Law Review