Dennis is one of the partners in charge of the Firm’s Financial Institutions Group. He concentrates his practice on representing financial institutions on a wide range of corporate and regulatory matters and has over 25 years of experience in the area.
Dennis regularly advises clients on the mergers and acquisitions of financial institutions, the raising of additional capital through public and private offerings of equity and debt instruments, and other strategic activities and initiatives. He has a wide array of experience in structuring corporate and financial transactions. Dennis also provides counsel to boards of directors on issues of corporate governance and regulatory compliance and enforcement matters.
Earlier in his career, he represented federal bank regulatory agencies in the receivership of over 75 savings and loan associations. This has provided him with valuable practical experience in his current representation of troubled banks and also healthy organizations bidding for failed institutions. During the past 10 years, Dennis has also represented the organizers of over 100 de novo banks across the country, including those forming banks in Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, New Mexico, Arizona, Indiana and New York.
Dennis is a frequent speaker at schools and seminars for bankers on issues of financial institutions law. He was an adjunct professor of banking law at Northwestern University School of Law.
S&P Global Market Intelligence rankings has listed our Firm as one of the top firms in the nation in number of announced bank and thrift merger and acquisition transactions during the past 10 years. For the last decade, our Firm ranked #1 in the Midwest. In total, we have represented buyers and sellers of financial institutions in more than 200 mergers and acquisitions.
Representation of USAmeriBancorp, Inc. (OTC Pink: USAB) in connection with its sale to Valley National Bancorp (NYSE: VLY) valued at approx. $816 million.
Representation of Midland States Bancorp, Inc. (Nasdaq: MSBI) in connection with its acquisition of Alpine Bancorporation approx. $181 million in cash/stock.
Representation of Midland States Bancorp, Inc. (Nasdaq: MSBI) in connection with its acquisition of Centrue Financial Corporation (Nasdaq: CFCB) approx. $175.1 million in cash/stock.
Representation of Midland States Bancorp, Inc. (NASDAQ: MSBI) in its $80.1M initial public offering of common stock.
Represented numerous financial institutions in private offerings of debt securities to enhance current capital positions. Successfully structured acquisitions of troubled banks through use of preferred and convertible instruments, including buyer price protections
Counsel to over 100 state and national de novo banks and bank holding companies across the country. The breadth of our practice has yielded a unique ability among our lawyers to gain familiarity with the laws and bank regulatory agencies of multiple jurisdictions throughout the United States. Established first Illinois state bank organized as a limited liability company.
Professional Activities & Honors
- Selected, Banking and Finance Law, The Best Lawyers in America® (2017-2018)
- Selected, Leading Lawyers Network (2011-2016)
- Northwestern University School of Law, Adjunct Professor of Banking Law (2001-2013)
- Selected, Illinois Super Lawyers (2005)
- Phi Delta Phi Honorary Society
- Order of the Coif
Speaking Engagements & Presentations
- 1/2017 – (Phoenix, AZ)
- 9/19/2015 – (Nashville, TN)
Other Events & Speaking Engagements
- Annual Conventions of Community Bankers Association of Illinois, since 1995
- Iowa Independent Bankers’ Association Annual Convention
- Illinois Bankers' Association School for Bank Compliance
- Panelist, Midwest Regional Bank Seminar, “Implementing Merger of Equals Transactions”
- McGladrey & Pullen National Training Institute
- De Novo Bank Seminar, Community Bankers Association of Illinois
- Fidelity Information Services Envision Forum, Charleston, S.C.
- CMC National Symposium, Las Vegas, Nevada
Articles & Publications
- 12/28/2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 12/7/2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 11/16/2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- Client Alert: Importance of Understanding Anti-Fraud Initiatives & Cultivating Law Enforcement Relationships6/13/2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 5/2/2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 4/25/2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 4/20/2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 3/2/2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 1/4/2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- Client Alert: Federal Banking Regulators Expand Banks Eligible for Extended 18-Month Examination Cycle12/20/2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 12/15/2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 11/29/2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 11/16/2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- Client Alert: Important General Takeaways from the Recent Congressional Hearings on Bank Incentive Practices11/3/2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 10/24/2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 10/6/2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 8/10/2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 5/19/2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 5/2/2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 3/22/2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 2/24/2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 2/11/2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 2/9/2016 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 3/18/2015 – Barack Ferrazzano Client Alert
- 1/18/2018 – Globe Newswire
- 12/18/2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- 11/1/2017 – Barack Ferrazzano Press Release
- 10/18/2017 – Globe Newswire
- 7/26/2017 – Press Release
- First Community Financial Partners, Inc. and First Mazon Bancorp, Inc. Announce Signing of Definitive Agreement3/2016
- Minnesota Based Peoples State Bank of Plainview and Altura State Bank Announce Signing of Definitive Merger Agreement2/8/2016
- 1/2010 – Law & Politics Magazine
University of Michigan Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1982
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.S. (Agriculture), with highest distinction, 1978
Bar & Court Admissions
- State of Illinois