Administrative Staff & Paralegals
To apply for a staff or paralegal position at Barack Ferrazzano, please submit your resume in Word format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Intellectual Property (IP) Docketing & Project Assistant
IP Department Attorneys and Paralegals
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Work is normally performed 8-5 (40-hour week).
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Assist docket clerk/IP Department with daily docketing, proofing of docketing, and filing of IP communications;
2. Assist with special docketing projects as needed;
3. Prepare and submit certain USPTO filings pursuant to attorney or paralegal request and after attorney approval to file;
4. Prepare reports out of trademark docketing system in both PDF and Excel formats based on criteria provided by attorneys/paralegals or as requested by clients;
5. Assist attorneys and paralegals with the in intake of files from clients or prior counsel and with preparing for sending out BFKN files to clients or new counsel (includes file organization, review, labeling, preparation of matter lists, etc.);
6. Clean up/update client contact information in trademark docketing system and maintain updated client information in the system on an ongoing basis;
7. Generate routine form letters manually (now) or out of trademark docketing system (once client cleanup is completed and forms are finalized and uploaded to system) in accordance with department standard operating procedures (still to be finalized);
8. Conduct preliminary trademark searches pursuant to attorney or paralegal request, utilizing outside vendor platform;
9. Order full trademark searches from outside vendors, pursuant to attorney or paralegal request;
10. Conduct investigations of trademark owners and users pursuant to attorney or paralegal request;
11. Prepare charts of preliminary and full search results pursuant to attorney or paralegal request;
12. Follow up on outside vendor/foreign associate statements as necessary, including following up with internal attorneys/paralegals/accounting to ensure invoices are in process, and corresponding with outside vendors/foreign associates to request copies of missing invoices and forwarding same to the appropriate person for processing;
13. Special and other projects at the request of and under the supervision of attorneys and paralegals;
14. Identify at least once annually, files held in the IP file rooms that may be transferred to storage by working with attorneys and/or paralegals to confirm files approved for sending to offsite storage (typically inactive/abandoned matters and clients no longer active), assembling the files, boxing and labeling same, entering information into Firm’s box storage database and updating IP department’s docket records to identify offsite location.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
1. BA/BS in related field with an interest in IP legal work
2. Working knowledge of MS Office including Work and Excel
3. Excellent verbal and written communication skills
4. Ability to adhere to strict deadlines
5. Ability to organize work from multiple supervisors
6. Highly proficient in time management, organization, planning and prioritization.
7. Initiative, positive attitude, team orientation, self-motivated and enthusiastic.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT:
1. Work is normally performed in a typical office work environment.
2. Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
3. Public speaking.No or very limited exposure to physical risk.